3.1.3-1 Why is it Important?
SLMTA 3 E-Learning Course Download Video
Referral specimen status is essential for specimen management to ensure the timely return of test results. In this case study, participants learn to use a log to track referral specimens, follow up on an issue, and document the occurrence.
- Weekly review of the specimen referral log ensures referred specimens are properly tracked.
- It is the laboratory’s responsibility to ensure test reports for specimens referred to another laboratory are returned in a timely manner to the provider.
- Occurrence reports assist the laboratory to identify and to address problems that affect laboratory operations.
- Review a specimen referral log and track a specimen’s referral status?
- Follow-up on referral reports that are outstanding and document the investigation?
Beatrice van der Puije
Ms. van der Puije helped redesign the classroom-based SLMTA 3 curriculum for on-line delivery and will serve as an instructor and facilitator of the e-learning course. Based in Ghana, Ms. van der Puije is a Public Health Program Manager at African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM), a pan-African organisation strengthening medical laboratory networks and systems in Africa. Ms. van der Puije is a certified QMS Trainer, with a Master of Science Degree in Medical Immunology and Microbiology. She is a SLMTA master trainer and has trained numerous laboratorians in the past decade.