SLMTA 3 E-Learning Course Download Video
Standard Operating Procedures ensure accurate and reliable testing results by providing best laboratory practices and standardizing the process.
In this activity, participants will learn the different elements of an examination procedure as required in ISO 15189 5.5.3 Documentation of Examination Procedures.
- SOPs define and standardize best laboratory practices. If properly followed, SOPs ensure a laboratory consistently produces accurate and reliable test results.
- SOPs take complex tasks and break them into simple steps, thereby assuring completion of the entire task.
- SOPs must be complete, clear, concise, and easy to follow.
- If an SOP is not available, participants can easily create one for their own laboratories using the SOP template and available technical information such as the operator’s manual or package insert.
- Recognize the components of a correctly written SOP?
- Write a clear, concise SOP that includes all the steps of a specific process?
- Read reference material to find the steps of a procedure?
- Use skills gained in this activity to write an SOP for his/her own laboratory, if the need arises?
- Describe various circumstances in which one will use SOPs in a laboratory?
Elde Mel Paladar
Mr. Paladar led the redesign of the classroom-based SLMTA 3 curriculum for on-line delivery and will serve as an instructor and facilitator of the e-learning course. Based in Malawi, he is a Project Manager at Adventist Health International, as well as Assistant Professor at the Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, Loma Linda University. Mr. Paladar has a Master of Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. He is a SLMTA master trainer and has trained numerous laboratorians in the past decade.