2.2.4-2 The 5 S's
SLMTA 3 E-Learning Course Download Video
A workstation’s design influences the productivity and efficiency of the workflow. An organized workstation places all essential items within easy reach in an orderly manner. This allows timely completion of all duties assigned to the workstation. In this activity, participants progressively construct an efficient workstation.
- Use of the 6 S’s provides a methodical approach to designing and engineering an efficient workstation.
- A workstation’s throughput is directly influenced by its organization and workflow design.
- Explain and apply the 6 S ‘s?
- Identify the essential components needed to organize an efficient workstation?
- Handout 1: MSDS Sheet (XC 23)
- Handout 2: Duties for Workstation (XC 24)
- Handout 3: Environment & Temperature Chart (XC 25)
- Handout 4: Safety Signs (XC 26)
- Handout 5: Maintenance Log (XC 27)
- Handout 6: Reagent Log (XC 28)
- Handout 7: Corrective Action Log (XC 29)
- Handout 8: Workstation Critical Value List (XC 30)
- Handout 9: Signatory Cover Sheet Example (XC 31)
- Handout 10: Test-specific SOP Example (XC32)
- Handout 11: Daily QC Log (XC 33)
- Handout 12: Levey-Jennings (L-J) Chart (XC34)
- Handout 13: Quality Indicator Monthly Tally (XC 35)
- Handout 14: Restricted Access Sign (XC 36)
- Handout 15: Report Form (XC 37)
- Handout 16: Occurrence Report (XC 38)
- Handout 17: Generic Analyzer Examination Process (2-12)
- Job Aid: Guiding Principles for Workstation Set-up (2-13)
- Handout 18: 5S
Beatrice van der Puije
Ms. van der Puije helped redesign the classroom-based SLMTA 3 curriculum for on-line delivery and will serve as an instructor and facilitator of the e-learning course. Based in Ghana, Ms. van der Puije is a Public Health Program Manager at African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM), a pan-African organisation strengthening medical laboratory networks and systems in Africa. Ms. van der Puije is a certified QMS Trainer, with a Master of Science Degree in Medical Immunology and Microbiology. She is a SLMTA master trainer and has trained numerous laboratorians in the past decade.