2.2.7-1 - Conduct the Laboratory Photo Safety Audit
SLMTA 3 E-Learning Course Download Video
Safety is a primary concern for laboratory operations. In this activity, participants are introduced to conducting an assessment of facility and personal safety using the WHO-AFRO SLIPTA Checklist and reviewing laboratory photographs.
- Safety in the laboratory is not optional.
- There are many safety practices that are in the control of the laboratorians.
- Safety is everyone’s responsibility.
- The laboratory supervisor or manager must assess the facility and safety practices for compliance with standards and guidelines. The checklist is a tool for this assessment.
- Corrective Action is imperative as a follow-up to an assessment with the checklist.
- Use the checklist to perform a safety assessment?
- Determine appropriate corrective actions for deficiencies noted during the assessment with the checklist?
- Institute improvement projects for safety deficiencies that require a systemic approach?
Beatrice van der Puije
Ms. van der Puije helped redesign the classroom-based SLMTA 3 curriculum for on-line delivery and will serve as an instructor and facilitator of the e-learning course. Based in Ghana, Ms. van der Puije is a Public Health Program Manager at African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM), a pan-African organisation strengthening medical laboratory networks and systems in Africa. Ms. van der Puije is a certified QMS Trainer, with a Master of Science Degree in Medical Immunology and Microbiology. She is a SLMTA master trainer and has trained numerous laboratorians in the past decade.