Knowledge of good laboratory safety practices does not always result in the implementation of these practices. This activity uses actual site visit photos to highlight and discuss why these unsafe practices persist despite knowledge to the contrary.
- Proper waste disposal relies on a clearly defined policy, a well-designed and organized workspace, and accountability / oversight by laboratory management.
- A workspace requires physical organization. The design must be carefully thought out to reflect the way people actually work in the environment.
- A workspace requires visual organization. Visual cues that clearly communicate quickly and easily are required.
- Articulate the lab policy for safe waste disposal?
- Spot unsafe practices in waste disposal?
- Create a workplace that is organized physically and visually to promote not only safe waste disposal, but safety in all laboratory practices?